Ye Olde Watering Hole
Much like the village pump on the old NSwiki, Ye Olde Watering Hole is a place to talk about anything related to Nswiki. If the discussion is more appropriate on some other page, move it there. For example, if you have a question or comment to a particular user, use the user's talk page.
Make a title using three ==='s
- Then write about what you want to talk about. Don't forget to use four tildes (~~~~) to sign your comment. -Todd McCloud (talk) 17:48, 29 July 2014 (EDT)
Do not directly copy articles from wikipedia
- It's unoriginal, and if it's a direct copy from wikipedia, it'd be much better to read it there than on here with dozens of red links and broken templates. We will be deleting articles that are directly lifted off wikipedia. --Todd McCloud (talk) 20:37, 1 August 2014 (EDT)
- Please refer to this page when directly copying text from Wikipedia. Pages that are directly lifted from Wikipedia that do not meet these conditions will be deleted outright. Most othrer Wikimedia projects (like Wikistates) can be directly lifted and put onto this wiki without much trouble. But it would be nice to give credit to the original author in the talk Page or comments when creating the page. Bear in mind, you can link to wikipedia, just use this code: [[wikipedia:pagetitle|text you want displayed for the link]]. --Todd McCloud (talk) 09:51, 19 December 2014 (EST)
Stopping the bot writing over your data
Responding to a question I had via telegram recently, the way to stop the bot writing data is to remove the <!--####_####_start--> and <!--####_####_end--> parts around the data. The bot will then not attempt to update the data when it does its next sweep. - JenlomTalk 03:58, 10 August 2014 (EDT)
Importing from wikistates
I exported a bunch of pages from wikistates, and was wondering if it would be possible to have them imported here. There's a lot of information on the World Bowl (one of NSSports' bigger tournaments) there, and rather than have to try and rush around in the next couple of weeks before wikistates shuts down, thought it might be easier to have them imported from the XML. I understand why the Import page isn't open to all users, but an assist would be greatly appreciated on this one. Ta. Osarius (talk) 10:31, 18 December 2014 (EST)
- Unless we have a built-in importing device (I don't think we do), your best bet is one of the following:
- 1. Copy the xml feeds and convert it to wiki format here. It's tedious and is useful if the site is completely dead, like the old NSwiki.net site. Some of the wiki formatting like tables and templates do not readily convert, however.
- 2. Simply cut-and-paste pages in from wikistates to here and upload images when needed. It's the fastest option as far as I know, but if wikistates is shutting down soon it doesn't leave a lot of time. I imagine I and a few others can help (it's a relatively easy process which I can assist in), just add the specific pages to NSWiki:Needed and we can all work on them.
- --Todd McCloud (talk) 15:04, 18 December 2014 (EST)
- As far as I know, the import function is default in the MediaWiki software, that's part of the reason I used the XML export feature. On NSwiki at the moment, it appears that it's just restricted to administrators only, that's why I asked here. If it's not possible to go that route, I have no problem looking at other methods, just wanted to check this first. It's the easiest way, after all. Osarius (talk) 07:19, 19 December 2014 (EST)
- Understood. Unless I'm missing something, it appears that I would need to edit the .php of the wiki to allow all users to import, or even to creat a special group to import pages, which again requires editing the .php. This is not a skill set I have, and is a reason why I need someone on this project who has that skill and who has past wiki experience (Kenny?). In the meantime, if you provide me a list of pages here, I can export them and import them here. If you have a bunch of them already exported, you can also send me an email. Just TG my main nation and I'll get it to you. --Todd McCloud (talk) 10:08, 19 December 2014 (EST)
We need Interwiki!
Wikistates is pretty much defunct now, but we should still be able to connect to IIwiki, forum threads, or nation/region pages within NS - like we could on the old NSwiki! (Or is interwiki already here and I just haven't discovered it yet?) Someone poke Elu about adding an interwiki because it would be incredibly useful what with all the red-linking going on up in here! --Omigodtheykilledkenny (talk) 16:18, 26 January 2015 (EST)
- Is what still valid? The fact that we (still) need interwiki, or the page itself? --Omigodtheykilledkenny (talk) 12:37, 16 February 2016 (EST)
Random Page Issue
I know that a lot of people probably never use the random page button, but I would like to see random information sometimes, but I always have to go through it many times because I keep getting bot-generated articles for regions containing one or zero nations. Is it possible to reconfigure the random page function to not return bot-generated articles? Redentro (talk) 23:39, 12 August 2015 (EDT)
Are we still working to address these at this point? -- Free Pacific States
- Most issues should be corrected by now. Todd just uploaded a big chunk of missing software to correct the "Internal Error" problems. Although he'd know better than I how successful he was. --Omigodtheykilledkenny (talk) 11:39, 1 December 2015 (EST)
- I fixed some things, but the real thing we're missing is the "luasandbox extension", which is necessary for things like infoboxes. We being sysops can't do that (to my knowledge), but I've contacted folks who should have the capacity to update it or at least get me in contact with those who can in fact load it up. Once that's installed, these issues should be fixed. --Todd McCloud (talk) 21:37, 1 December 2015 (EST)
Using wikipedia images
Is there a way to use a wikipedia image without downloading it, then uploading it? Like a direct link of some kind (similar to how you can direct link to wiki articles)? --Free Pacific States (talk) 09:51, 19 January 2016 (EST)
All the info in the main article of the region Planet Number 14 is set to -1. Why is this?
- I have had the same issue with my region, The Leftist Assembly. I tried deleting all the info on the page to see if it would come back and I waited a while (maybe a month or more), but still nothing. I don't want to manually fill in the whole page, but I still want to use it to add extra information not covered by the bot. Any help would be appreciated! Llorens (talk) 20:48, 2 September 2016 (EDT)